Archived - MobileMe: Alternatives to iCards service
iCards service was discontinued with the release of MobileMe on July 9, 2008 (2008-07-09). The removal of the feature was announced on June 9, 2008 as part of the .Mac to MobileMe Transtion FAQ. This article provides information about some alternatives to iCards that you may wish to use.
Using Stationery in Leopard Mail
If you use a Mac running Mac OS X v10.5 or later, you can use Mail's stationery feature, which offers more than 30 professionally designed stationery templates with coordinated layouts, fonts, and colors. You can customize your message to your liking by dragging and dropping photos from your iPhoto library, changing fonts, rewriting headlines, and more. Messages created with stationery in Mail use standard HTML that can be read by popular webmail services and email programs on both Macs and PCs.
To use stationery in Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard Mail:
- In the New Message window, click Show Stationery.
- To view the template choices, click a category, such as Announcements.
- To apply a template to your message, click its thumbnail.
- You can change the background color of some templates by clicking the thumbnail. For example, click the Daisies thumbnail several times to see different background colors.
- When you decide on a template, you can click Hide Stationery to see more of your message.
- To add images, drag a picture from your desktop or the Finder over a placeholder photo.
- If you have images on your computer from using Aperture, iPhoto, or Photo Booth, click Photo Browser to view and select those images.
- You can drag any folder of images onto the Photo Browser so the images are easily accessible.
- If the image is larger than the placeholder photo, double-click the image to display a slider you can use to zoom in on an area of the photo. You can also drag the image around to show a specific area.
To remove a template from your message, click the Original thumbnail in the Stationery category. Any text, images, or formatting that you had added are retained.
If you use a template often, you can add it to the Favorites category. Drag the thumbnail over the category list. To remove a favorite, select it and click Remove (x).
You can create your own stationery. In a new message, enter and format your text, add images, and then choose Save As Stationery from the File menu. Your custom stationery will be available in the Custom category, at the end of the list.
If you do not use Mac OS X v10.5, there are many third-party greeting card services that are available online that can easily be located using your favorite Internet search engine.
The removal of iCards as a feature was announced in the .Mac to MobileMe Transtion FAQ when MobileMe was announced on June 9, 2008.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.