Archived - About the Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update (combo)
The Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update (combo) updates Mac OS X 10.4, 10.4.1, 10.4.2, 10.4.3, 10.4.4, 10.4.5, 10.4.6, or 10.4.7 to version 10.4.8 on both Intel-based Macs and PowerPC-based Macs. (If you are just updating from Mac OS X 10.4.7 to 10.4.8, see this article instead.)
Important: Please read before installing
- After installing the combo version of this update, the computer will restart two times. On an Intel-based Mac, the first restart after installing this update may take several minutes; please allow it to complete.
- If you use iSync, you should perform a full sync with your devices before installing this update. For more information and before-you-install steps, see this article.
- You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you've modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
- The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update.
- If issues occur during installation--for example, Software Update quits unexpectedly, please see this article.
There are two ways to update to Mac OS X 10.4.8: Use Software Update or the standalone installer. You only need to use one of these methods to update your computer.
Automatic Software Update
Software Update, located in the Apple menu, will automatically download the latest Apple software. (Software Update might have linked you to this article to learn more about the update.) Note that the update's size may vary from computer to computer when installed using Software Update. Some updates must be installed prior to others, soyou may need to run Software Update more than once to get all of the available updates.
Download the update installer and run it manually. This a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. Two versions of the standalone installer are available from Apple Downloads: a delta and combo.
The delta update installer (detailed in a different article) updates Mac OS X 10.4.6 to 10.4.7.
For a list, see About the Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update (delta).
This update also includes updates delivered with earlier Mac OS X 10.4.x Updates: 10.4.7 Update (delta), 10.4.6 Update (delta), 10.4.5 Update (delta), 10.4.4 Update (delta), 10.4.3 Update (delta), 10.4.2 Update (delta), 10.4.1 Update.