Archived - Mac OS X 10.4: Restoring applications from a Mac OS X 10.2 Software Restore disc
If you installed Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger on your computer, Software Restore cannot restore applications such as Classic Support from a Mac OS X 10.2 Restore disc. This document applies to Mac OS X 10.4 or later and Restore discs for Mac OS X versions 10.2 through 10.2.7 (the Restore disc that may have come with your computer).
Instead, Software Restore prompts you to insert the Restore disc, even though that's what is already in there. So how can you reinstall the software? Here are some ways.
Restore iLife applications from an iLife disc
You might consider purchasing iLife '05, which comes with a CD and DVD disc in its retail package, to reinstall iLife applications (iMovie HD, iPhoto, iTunes, GarageBand, and iDVD—for computers that can burn DVDs). Tip: You can also download iTunes from here.
I don't have iLife, or I want to reinstall Classic Support or other applications
This workaround allows you to reinstall applications from the Mac OS X 10.2 Restore disc, but involves first erasing your Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger volume and then reinstalling Tiger later. Follow these steps carefully:
- Back up important documents and files, including things on your desktop. For instructions, see this document and this one too. If you have other user accounts on your computer, don't forget to back up important documents from those Home folders too.
- Start up your computer from your Mac OS X 10.2 Install (not Restore) disc.
- Perform an erase and install on the Mac OS X 10.4 volume. This erases Mac OS X 10.4 and reinstalls Mac OS X 10.2. See the "How to Perform an Erase and Restore" section of this document.
- After it's finished, use the Mac OS X 10.2 Restore disc to reinstall any applications you wish, or Mac OS 9 Classic Support, if you want it.
- After you're sure that you've installed everything that you need, start up your computer from your Mac OS X 10.4 Install disc.
- Install Mac OS X 10.4 to upgrade the Mac OS X 10.2 volume.
Important: Do not perform an erase install or Archive and Install installation.
- After Tiger is installed, use Software Update to install any updates. Applications that you installed from your Mac OS X 10.2 Restore disc will most likely need to be updated.
- Restore any important files you backed up in step 1.
Download a later version of Software Restore for Tiger
If you have Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger already installed and you want to restore your Mac OS X 10.2.x computer-specific software, you can use the version of Software Restore available below.
License agreement and download
All software available from this web page is covered by the software license agreement included with Mac OS X. By using or downloading this software you accept the terms of the software license agreement. Accept and Download