Archived - About the Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update (Delta)
The Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update (Delta) updates Mac OS X 10.4.3 to version 10.4.4.
Mac OS X 10.4.4
Note: If you are updating from Mac OS X 10.4, 10.4.1, or 10.4.2 to 10.4.4, see this article instead.
Important: Please read before installing.
- You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you've modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
- The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update.
You have two ways to update to Mac OS X 10.4.4: Use Software Update or the standalone installer. You only need to use one of these methods to update your computer.
Automatic Software Update
Software Update, located in System Preferences, can automatically download the latest Apple software. (Software Update might have linked you to this article to learn more about the update.)
Software Update notes:
- The update's size may vary from computer to computer when installed using Software Update.
- Because some updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to run Software Update more than once to get all available updates.
Two versions of the installer (Delta and Combo, described below) are available from Apple Downloads as standalone updates. After you download an update, you can use it to update your computer without being connected to the Internet.
The Delta Update installer (described here) updates Mac OS X 10.4.3 to 10.4.4.
- The Combo Update installer (described in this article) updates Mac OS X 10.4, 10.4.1, 10.4.2, or 10.4.3 to 10.4.4.
The standalone installer, particularly the Combo Update, is useful if you have multiple computers to update and only want to download the update once.
This update offers many improvements, including:
- Safari now displays certain documents that have text/plain headers as plain text rather than treating them as HTML.
- On certain websites, such as Telia Webmail, buttons on a page might overlap in Safari; this update resolves the issue.
- Text within a nested HTML table's cells (such as a web-based form) no longer disappears when you click it.
- Resolves an issue in which Safari could unexpectedly quit if you tried to save a web page which includes an inline PDF file as a Web Archive.
- Addresses an issue that could cause Safari to unexpectedly quit when filling out forms on some websites.
- .Mac now syncs which RSS feed items you have and haven't read in Safari.
- The following widgets are updated with this update:
- Stocks - The stocks widget can now display price graphs for a week or a month; also, font size and spacing have been adjusted.
- Address Book - Address Book widget now has three panes: Search, List, and Card.
- Calendar - This widget's appearance has been adjusted.
- PhoneBook - This widget is now named Business.
- The following widgets are installed with this update:
- People - This widget lets you look up residential phone numbers.
- Google - Searches the Internet via www.google.com, then displays the results in your default web browser.
- ESPN - Shows news and scores for the sports you choose.
- Ski Report - Shows you ski conditions at popular skiing locations powered by AccuWeather.
- iChat can now detect when you're using a Bluetooth headset as your audio device.
- Allows iChat to initiate a video conference with an AOL Messenger (AIM) for Windows user whose name include spaces or uppercase characters.
- Resolves an issue in which iChat could unexpectedly quit after experiencing a disconnection during a file transfer.
- In an iChat multiperson chat (conference) with "Auto-reply with my away message" enabled, if your status changes to Away your away message no longer appears after every chat line.
- Addresses an issue in which Preview or other graphic applications might be able to open an EPS format file, but would unexpectedly quit soon afterwards.
- Instead of Disk Utility reporting "ERROR: could not freeze volume (Operation not supported)," when trying to perform a Live Verification of a non-Journaled volume, the Verify button is dimmed when a non-Journaled volume is selected.
- Improves the compression achieved when saving a TIFF file as a compressed TIFF.
- Shadows within a PDF document created in Mac OS X 10.4.4 or later are visible in Adobe Reader as well.
- Calculator widget now uses the number format set in International preferences format pane; for example, the Calculator widget's number separator is a comma when the Russian region is selected in the Region pop-up menu.
- Resolves an issue in which some PDF files could appear with inverted colors in Preview or other applications.
- Adobe Illustrator CS version 11.0 can now save files with 2-byte characters in their name.
- Improves framerates in Blizzard World of Warcraft for GeForce 4Ti video cards.
- T.C. Electronic Spark XL 2.8 no longer stops responding when quitting or when switching audio devices in the application's preferences.
- Addresses an unexpected quitting issue that could occur when switching GarageBand to an aggregate audio hardware device.
- Improves stability when third-party networking kernel extensions are installed, such as socket filters that implement a data filter.
- iPhoto can now import and work with raw graphic files from several recent digital cameras.
- Resolves an issue in which, under certain conditions, canceling a .Mac synchronization session could result in erroneous contacts being added to Address Book.
- Addresses certain issues that could occur when performing a full sync or sync reset with .Mac.
- Allows you to reinstall bundled software from Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later DVDs, instead of receiving an "Error Reading Package - The package is damaged and cannot be read" alert.
- Addresses an issue for Mac OS X 10.4.3 in which you cannot unlock the System Keychain, or the System Keychain does not accept your authentication when authenticating for a wireless network.
- Includes later versions of the Courier and Monaco system fonts that resolve certain Central European language and Cyrillic glyph display issues.
- Turning Bluetooth on and off rapidly several times in Bluetooth preferences no longer causes Bluetooth to stop responding, nor causes the On/Off button to become dimmed.
- Includes recent Security Updates.