Archived - iSync: Read before updating to Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, or before first sync
Mac OS X versions 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 include iSync updates. If you have a phone that you sync using iSync in Mac OS X 10.4 through 10.4.5, there are some important steps you should follow before you update to Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later, as well as after you update.
Note: For users of Sony Ericsson K700 or S700 phones, you should follow these steps only if updating from Mac OS X 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 or later. All users should follow these steps with any model of phone used with iSync if upgrading from a version of Mac OS X 10.4 through 10.4.5.
Before you update to Mac OS X 10.4.6, 10.4.7 or later
- Make sure that all of the contact and calendar data that you want to sync is on your computer.
- Perform a sync with your devices before upgrading to Mac OS X 10.4.6 to make sure the information on your computer is up to date, and to resolve any conflicts between your devices and computer.
- If you have modified iSync or installed third-party software to support your specific model of phone, or if if iSync 2.2 specifically adds support for your specific model of phone, you should consider removing your phone from iSync, undoing these changes and uninstalling that software before upgrading. Your phone will not work with iSync after applying the Mac OS X 10.4.6 Software Update and your third party software will need to be updated.
Note: Reudo's Sync for Mac is not affected and does not need to be uninstalled prior to updating.
If you skip these steps, you will see this message after upgrading: "Plug-in for this phone model is missing. Install that phone's plug-in if you want iSync to support it."
- Make sure that your phone is configured to use its memory to store contacts instead of a SIM card. The steps on how to do this vary from phone to phone--consult your device's documentation for how to check its configuration, and if necessary how to change your phone to store contacts in its memory.
- Make sure your phone has the correct date and time set.
- Make sure that you have a current backup of your Address Book and iCal data.
Download and install Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later
For more information, see this article.
After installing Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later
- Open iSync and Sync your devices (from the Devices menu, choose Sync Devices).
- An alert will appear. If you have already synced with your devices before upgrading to Mac OS X 10.4.6 as recommended above and resolved all conflicts between your devices and computer, select the "Erase data on device then sync" pop-up menu choice (which is the default), then click OK.
Important: If you think your phone data may not be in sync with your computer, do not use the default option "Erase data on device then sync". Instead, select "Merge data on computer and device" from the pop-up menu and click OK.
After the first sync, your devices will sync as expected, without this alert appearing.
- After updating, you may have additional options for the device you are syncing. Click the phone icon in iSync, then click the More Options button at the bottom of the Device Setup pane. Options will vary between devices, so be sure to check the options available for every device you are using.