Set up and manage iTunes Allowance
With iTunes Allowance, you can send a monthly iTunes Store credit to anyone with an iTunes Store account. It's a great way for parents to manage their children's spending on the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store.
Good to know
- Every month, the allowance amount you've set will automatically be added to your recipient's iTunes Store account.
- The amount can be anything from 10 to 50 USD.
- You'll be charged the full allowance amount on the first of each month (it'll be the same amount every month).
- You can reassure your lucky friend or family member that they don't need to spend all of the allowance each month; any remaining amount carries over to the next month.
- If you use Family Sharing and Ask to Buy is enabled for your account, you can't buy iTunes Allowances.
What you'll need
- The latest version of iTunes for your Mac or PC.
- An Apple ID with a method of payment on file.
- An Apple ID for the recipient (it's usually their email address).
How to set it up
- Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and go to the iTunes Store.
- Click Send iTunes Gifts.
- Click "Learn More About Gifting."
- Scroll down to the Allowances section and click "Set Up an Allowance."
- Fill out all information on the page, including your name, the recipient's name, the monthly allowance amount, the first installment schedule, the recipient's Apple ID, and a personal message.
- If asked, enter your Apple ID and password.
How to use an allowance
When your friend or family member signs in to the iTunes Store with his or her Apple ID, the iTunes Store will show the allowance balance. If you want to control spending on this account, you'll want to remove any credit card information from this account so that anything they buy is limited to the allowance balance.
Select View Account from the Store pull-down menu. You can view, change the monthly amount, suspend, and cancel any established allowances on your Account Information page.
iTunes Allowance might not be available in every iTunes Store country.