Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Install on multiple systems via Apple Remote Desktop, NetInstall, or NetRestore
Follow the steps below to install Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 on multiple Mac systems using Apple Remote Desktop, NetInstall, or NetRestore.
Steps to install on multiple systems
Note that these steps are for when you're not using an MDM solution (like Profile Manager) to manage your Macs.
- Make sure each target Mac meets the minimum system requirements:
Note: Each target Mac also needs to have an OpenCL graphics card. For more information, see Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Graphics card compatibility.
- Be sure each target Mac is up to date. Check for available updates by choosing Software Update from the Apple () menu.
- On your administrator Mac system, download each application from the Mac App Store. If you purchased volume licenses, you can download each application by entering one of the redemption codes provided.
- Deploy the applications to all of the target systems using Apple Remote Desktop, NetInstall, or NetRestore.
Only the Mac you originally downloaded the applications on will be notified of application updates. To deploy updated applications across all target systems, download any updates from the Mac App Store on the original system. Then, deploy the new version to all of the target systems.
Before you begin
When deploying an updated version of Final Cut Pro X, it’s a best practice to save a copy of the currently installed version as a backup by following the “Back up the Final Cut Pro X application” steps in the relevant article below. These articles also include important information about backing up your important Final Cut Pro X files before updating.
- If you're updating from Final Cut Pro X v10.0.x to v10.1 or later, see Final Cut Pro X 10.1 and later: How to back up important Final Cut Pro X 10.0.x files before updating.
- If you're updating from Final Cut Pro X v10.1 or later to a newer version, see Final Cut Pro X 10.1 and later: Back up libraries and archive projects.
Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.