Apple TV: Understanding Restrictions (parental controls)
You can turn on Restrictions, also known as parental controls, on Apple TV with a few simple steps. Restrictions stop you from using specific features and services on the device. Learn more about the types of Restrictions and how to turn them on or off on your Apple TV.
Restricting access to icons
If you enabled passcode on your Apple TV, you can restrict access or hide icons from the main menu:
- From the main menu, go to Settings > Main Menu.
- Select the service you wish to hide.
- Choose Hide or Ask from the options.
After you set up a passcode, you can choose how to restrict specific features and services. You might see these options:
- Hide: Hide the icon from the main menu.
- Ask: You must enter the four-digit passcode before using the service or making a purchase or rental transaction.
- Show or Allow: You don't need a passcode to use the service, and there aren't any restrictions.
You can restrict these features and services:
- Allow, hide the option for, or ask for the passcode for Purchases & Rentals.
Note: Selecting Hide will remove the Movies and TV Shows icons from the Main Menu. You won't be able to play your past purchases or rentals with this option selected.
- Select a locale to apply ratings to.
- Choose which Movie ratings to allow based on the locale.
- Choose which TV show ratings to allow based on the locale.
- Allow or ask for the passcode to access explicit music and podcasts.
- Show, hide the setting, or ask for the passcode for Airplay Settings.
- Allow or ask for the passcode for Conference Room Display.
You can turn on and adjust Restrictions on Apple TV to prevent access to specific features or content on the device.
- Make sure that your Apple TV software is up to date.
- From the main menu, select Settings > General > Restrictions.
- Select Turn on Restrictions.
- Enter a four-digit passcode to set up restrictions and select Done.
- Enter the four digits again to confirm your passcode, select Done, then select Ok.