About the Lion Server v10.7.4 Update
Learn about the Lion Server v10.7.4 Update.
Additional improvements are documented in other articles:
- Lion Server v10.7.4 includes all the improvements delivered in the OS X Lion v10.7.4 (client) update.
- For information about the security content of Lion Server v10.7.4, see this article.
This software updates Lion Server v10.7, v10.7.1, v10.7.2 and v10.7.3 to version 10.7.4. It is recommended for all Lion Server users.
Mobile Accounts and Managed Preferences
- applying managed preferences to members of a nested Active Directory group
- home directory synchronization for Active Directory users with mobile accounts
- deleting a mobile account when it expires
- enhanced payloads and management settings for iOS and OS X clients:
- Spotlight and iCloud preference panes on OS X
- Siri access at the lock screen on iOS
- mobile account sync interval on OS X
- disk access on OS X
- installing iOS applications: installing a new app no longer causes existing apps to be reinstalled
- reliability of device enrollments after changing server hostname
- configuring VPN management settings
- using profiles to join 802.1x networks
- defining custom names for file share points
- copying files and Finder information over SMB
- general reliability of SMB file services
- using WebDAV with third-party iOS clients. Note: In order to take advantage of WebDAV improvements you may have to stop and restart File Sharing, after installing the update.
- AFP service reliability, fixing the issue that was reported as "TCP Listener returned error on accept" in the AppleFileServiceError.log
- Xsan filesystem stability
- expanding an Xsan data volume
- improved handling of URL redirects and alias matches
- improved reliability of SMTP services
- prevent overwriting of manually configured greylisted mail servers
- Server app stability
- reconfiguring DNS settings when changing hostnames
- restoring an Open Directory archive created in Snow Leopard Server
- preserving local accounts during upgrade and migration
There are three ways to update to Lion Server v10.7.3:
- Use Software Update
- Install from a standalone installer
- Install on a remote server via Server Admin or the 'softwareupdate' command-line utility
If you need to install the update on a remote server, you can do so using the Server Admin application or the softwareupdate command line tool.
If you want to download and manually install the update, an installer is available from Apple Support Downloads. This a useful option if you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once. Read how to verify the authenticity of manually downloaded Apple Software Updates.
Software Update installation
Choose Software Update from the Apple () menu. Because some updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to use Software Update more than once to obtain all available updates. When Software Updates states "Your software is up to date," you can be sure that all available updates have been installed.
Read before installing
- Do not interrupt the installation process. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Support Downloads to update.
Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.