Motion: Troubleshooting basics
If Motion isn't starting up properly or performing as expected, try these basic troubleshooting steps to remedy the situation. Please note that these steps aren't exhaustive, and are not intended to cover any specific issue. They are fundamental, basic steps that are most effective in getting Motion into good working order, and are the steps most often suggested by AppleCare Technical Support.
First of all, it's important to understand what factors affect the performance of Motion. For tips on improving performance, see this article.
Confirm requirements and software versions
- Check system requirements—Make sure that you haven't overlooked any hardware aspect that's required to use Motion. You can view the system requirements on the Motion Technical Specifications page. Because Motion uses GPU acceleration, you must have a compatible graphics card in your computer.
- Update to the latest software versions—Choose Apple > Software Update and make sure that you have the most recent updates for your versions of Motion, QuickTime, and other important system files. Installing the latest updates ensures that your software has the latest improvements and enhancements.
- Check compatibility and driver versions for third-party devices—If you're using a third-party capture card, storage system, input device, or something else, check the support area on the manufacturer's website to be sure that you're using the latest version of the relevant driver or other software for your device.
Delete user preferences
You can resolve many issues by restoring Motion back to its original settings. This will not impact your project files. To reset your Motion user preference settings to their original state, do the following:
- In the Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences—the tilde (~) represents your Home folder.
- Drag the "com.apple.motion.plist" file from the Preferences folder to the Trash.
Remove receipts and reinstall Motion
Another approach you might consider is reinstalling Motion. To do this effectively, you need to first remove the application and its receipts, then install Motion and use Software Update to install additional updates. You don't have to remove everything that was installed with Motion. Use the following steps to completely reinstall a fresh copy of Motion. Make sure that you have your installation discs and serial number nearby before starting this.
Note: If you had previously installed the Motion 2 Registration Incentive, you will need to run that installer separately.
- Quit Motion if it's open.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Drag the Motion application to the Trash.
- Go to /Library/Receipts.
- In the Receipts folder, drag any receipts with names begin with "Motion" to the Trash.
- Reinstall Motion from your installation disc set.
- When finished, use Software Update (choose Apple > Software Update) to update your software to the latest version.
For more information on settings or installation, please refer to the Motion documentation available on your installation discs.