Intel-based Mac notebooks: How to swap a removable battery when a power adapter is not connected
Learn how to replace a removable battery in your MacBook or MacBook Pro without connecting to a power adapter.
To replace the battery in your Intel-based Mac notebook, first put the computer into sleep mode or power down the computer.
Note: Your notebook must have a user-removable battery. Do not attempt this procedure with MacBook Air, MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and later, or MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later computers, which have batteries that should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
Put your computer to sleep
- Choose Sleep from the Apple () menu in the upper-left of the display, or simply close the lid on the notebook computer. Be sure to wait for the white sleep light on the front of the computer to start pulsing before you proceed to the next step.
Note: As the computer goes to sleep, it will save the contents of the RAM (Random Access Memory) to the computer's hard disk.
- Remove the battery; the sleep light will turn off and the computer will enter Safe Sleep mode.
- Insert the new battery.
- Open the lid on the computer and press the power button. The computer should start up and, using safe sleep, your system will resume where it left off when you put it to sleep.
Note: For more information about safe sleep, see Apple notebooks: Progress bar appears after waking from sleep.
Shut down the computer
- Power the computer off by choosing Shut Down from the Apple () menu in the upper-left of the display.
- While the computer is powered off, remove the installed battery and insert the replacement battery.
How to remove and install a removable battery
Refer to these articles for specific steps to remove and reinstall batteries in your Intel-Based Mac notebook with removable batteries:
Some Mac notebooks, such as the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009), do not have batteries you can remove yourself. These batteries are larger and can provide power for longer periods of time than a single removable battery, so swapping batteries should not be required. If there is a need to replace or remove the battery in one of these computers, contact an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail store, make a reservation at the Genius bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ .