Archived - The New User's Guide to iPod shuffle
iPod shuffle, Windows
Before you connect your iPod shuffle to your Mac or PC computer or use it, you must install the latest iTunes software.
Charge your battery by connecting it to an Apple iPod Power Adapter or connect your iPod to a high-power USB port —one that's located directly on your computer—to ensure that your computer charges your iPod battery. (If your computer doesn't seem to recognize your connected iPod , wait about 30 minutes to allow the iPod battery to charge before going further.)
- Charging your iPod battery through a computer or optional power adapter
Once you finish the set up, iTunes will open. It will then either:
- Automatically start filling your iPod with music from your iTunes library (if you set iTunes to automatically update your iPod)
- Allow you to pick and choose what music, audiobooks, and podcasts to add, if you opted to manually manage music on your iPod.
To manually add content, simply drag any file from your iTunes library or playlist to your iPod icon in the iTunes Source list. If you're using iTunes for the very first time, you'll need to add some music to iTunes first, such as songs from your own CDs or music already on your hard drive.
- Adding my music to iTunes
- Adding my iTunes music to my iPod
- Using your iPod as a disk drive for music and other files.
Note: Syncing music to iPod is a one way street. You cannot copy music from an iPod to a computer unless you enable your iPod as a hard disk first and then copy music files to its disk volume.
Once you've got your music, audiobooks, and other files on your iPod, you're ready to enjoy it.
- If you see an “OK to Disconnect” message on your iPod, simply disconnect it from your computer.
- If you see a “Do Not Disconnect” message, click the eject icon that appears next to your iPod icon in the iTunes Source list and then disconnect your iPod from your computer when you see the “OK to Disconnect” message.
- Disconnecting my iPod shuffle
Now you’re ready to enjoy your iPod.
Whether you're a Mac or Windows user, the information below will help you enjoy your iPod to its fullest.
- Get the latest iPod Manual
- iPod step-by-step video tutorials
- iPod Higher Learning: Advanced iPod and iTunes uses
The following are typical issues you may encounter.
- Trouble adding music to iTunes
- Trouble syncing music to my iPod
- iPod shuffle not responding—it appears to be frozen
- Charging or music copying issues with iPod shuffle
- Exclamation point folder or sad iPod icon on the screen
- Trouble installing iTunes in Mac OS X
- Mac doesn't recognize connected iPod
- iPod shuffle shows up in Mac OS X but not in iTunes
- Manual for your specific iPod
- iPod + iTunes Support pages: Learn more about using iPod and iTunes, troubleshooting issues, and getting service and support.
- iPod shuffle Service FAQ
- Contact Us: Contacting Apple Service and Support
- iPod Discussions: Consult hundreds of iPod users and experts in our iPod Discussions forums. You can ask a question, answer a question, or simply read what others have to say.