Nike + iPod Frequently Asked Questions (general)
Learn about Nike + iPod. What do you need? How does it work? What about nikeplus.com? This article answers these and other questions about Nike + iPod.
What do I need to get started using the Nike + iPod system?
You need these:
- An iPod nano, iPod touch (2nd generation) and later, or iPhone 3GS and later
- The Nike + iPod Sport Kit if you're using an iPod nano or the Nike + iPod Sensor if you're using an iPod touch or iPhone
- Nike+ shoes
- The latest version of iTunes
The Nike + iPod Sport Kit is designed for running and walking. Nike+ shoes have a specially engineered pocket in the midsole of the shoe for the Nike + iPod Sensor.
What are the system and software requirements of the Nike + iPod Sport Kit?
- iPod nano software version 1.2 or later
- iPod touch (2nd generation) software version 2.1 or later
- iPhone 3GS and later with iOS 3.0 and later
- A Windows PC or Mac OS X computer with the latest iTunes
When I'm running, what will I hear through my headphones?
You will hear the music, audiobook, or podcast you select to play while working out.
The Nike + iPod application is able to provide audible feedback in real time about the time, distance, pace, or calories you burn in your workout. The app reduces the playback volume when the spoken feedback begins and then ramps it back up to its original level when the update is complete. For distance workouts, you will hear voice prompts at the halfway point and at the 400-meter point.
Can I choose when to hear audible feedback?
Yes. You can always get real time voice feedback by doing one of these:
- Press the Center or Home button on your iPod nano during your workout
- Press the Home button on your iPod touch or iPhone when in sleep mode during your workout
Goal-based workouts also provide periodic updates (for example, every half mile).
How do I choose which voice I hear?
You can choose a female or male voice:
- iPod nano: Choose Nike + iPod > Settings and set Spoken Feedback to Male, Female, or Off
- iPod nano (7th generation): Choose Fitness. Select the i in the lower right, and then set Spoken Feedback to Male, Female, or Off
- iPod touch or iPhone: Tap Settings > Nike + iPod and set Spoken Feedback to Male, Female, or Off
If spoken feedback is off, you can still get spoken feedback manually.
How do I see my workout data when I've finished my run?
After completing your run, you'll see a complete summary of all the data captured for your run (for example, date, time, total distance, duration, pace, and calories burned) on your device.
How do I sync my workout data to nikeplus.com?
Learn how to sync workout data at Nikeplus.nike.com.
What do I need to do to use nikeplus.com?
All you need is access to the Internet and a free nikeplus.com account.
To get your nikeplus.com account, do one of these:
- Go directly to nikeplus.com and sign yourself up for a free account by selecting the Sign Me Up button.
- After you've completed a workout on your device:
- Connect your iPod to your computer.
- Have iTunes upload your workout to nikeplus.com.
- iTunes will also send you to a nikeplus.com webpage that includes your workout data.
- Click "Save your runs". Create your nikeplus.com account.
Find more detailed information on how to upload and track your workout progress at the Nike website.