Syncing and troubleshooting iPod games
Learn how to sync and troubleshoot iPod games.
iPod (5th generation), iPod classic, iPod classic (120GB), iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), iPod nano (3rd generation), iPod nano (4th generation), iPod nano (5th generation)
Syncing purchased iPod games
- In iTunes, select iPod in the source list and click the Games tab.
- Select "Sync games."
- Click "All games" or "Selected games." If you click "Selected games," also select the games you want to sync.
- Click Apply.
Note: Games available on iTunes are designed specifically for the iPod nano (3rd through 5th generation), iPod classic, and iPod (5th generation). They cannot be played on your computer, nor are they compatible with other iPod models or iPhone.
- Verify that you have the latest version of iTunes. The current version is available at www.apple.com/itunes/download.
- Verify that you have the correct iPod model. To use games, you need an iPod nano (3rd through 5th generation), iPod classic, or iPod (5th generation). See Identifying iPod models.
Note: Games previously purchased for iPod (5th generation) do not sync to iPod classic or iPod nano (3rd through 5th generation). If a game that you already purchased is available, you must repurchase the compatible iPod game to function on an iPod classic or iPod nano (3rd through 5th generation). For a list of iPod games, visit the iTunes Store.
- Verify that you are using the latest version of iPod software.
- Verify that the Game tab appears when you click iPod under Devices in the source list of the iTunes window. If a game title does not appear in the sync list but does appear in the iPod Games Library, then the game is not compatible with your iPod model.
- Verify that iTunes is authorized to use the account you used to purchase the game.
If iTunes is not authorized for your iTunes Store account, you may see a message stating that "The game was not copied to the iPod because you are not authorized to play it on this computer."
- Verify that the game syncs to iPod.
- Verify that the game title appears in Extras > Games.
- Verify that the game launches from Extras > Games.
- Use iTunes to update iPod with the latest iPod software.
- Try syncing only the game title you are troubleshooting. To do this:
- Select your iPod and click the Games tab.
- Select the Sync games checkbox.
- Click the "Selected games" button.
- Select only the game title you are troubleshooting.
- Click the Apply button.
- Eject iPod and verify that the game launches from Extras > Games.
- If this does not resolve the issue, restore iPod with the latest iPod software and then resync the game as described in steps 2 through 4.
If you have issues related to the purchase of a game or transferring a game to your iPod, see the iTunes Store Customer Service page for more information.
For more information about iPod games, see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for iPod Games.
Note: Some features or services are not available in some iTunes Store countries.