Preparing your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch for repair or return
Learn how to prepare your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch for repair or return.
iPad, iPhone, iPod touch
If possible, please perform these steps in the following order to prepare your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch for repair or return:
- Sync your device with iTunes.
- Back up your device.
- Disable iMessage: If iMessage is active, please turn off iMessage. Tap Settings > Messages > iMessage.
- Erase all data from your device by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
- Remove any case or film, if present.
- If your iPhone or iPad has a SIM card, remove the SIM card.
Note: If your device has cellular service, be sure to contact your carrier to suspend service. You can also discuss what options may be available for using another device while yours is being repaired.
The Contact Support webpage has further service information.
When you receive the replacement device:
- Before you restore your device from the backup, update to the latest version of iOS.
- Restore your device from a previous backup, if needed.