iTunes Store: Movie rental usage rights in the United States
You can rent movies from the iTunes Store and watch them with your Mac or Windows computer, iPhone, iPad, video-enabled iPod*, or on your TV using Apple TV.
The iTunes Store movie rental usage rules are as follows:
- You have 30 days to begin watching the movie after the download completes. You can start watching the movie rental while it is still downloading.
- Once you've started to watch the rental, you have 24 hours to finish watching the movie (even if you start watching before the download is complete). You can watch the rental as many times as you want within this 24-hour period.
- The rental will expire when either the 30 day or 24-hour limit is reached. Once the rental expires, the rental is automatically deleted. You must rent and download the movie again to view it after your rental has expired.
- You can move the rental between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period. However, the movie can only be played on one device at a time. If you rent a movie on an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV, it is not transferable to any other device and you must watch it on that device.
- On your device, the time remaining for you to finish watching the movie appears near the movie title.
- You can only play your rented movies on the computer you rented it from and only if it is authorized to play your iTunes Store purchases and rentals.
Caution: If you move a rental to iPhone, iPad, or iPod and then use iTunes to restore iPhone, iPad, or iPod before you finish watching it, the movie rental will be deleted and will not be recoverable. This also applies to choosing Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
* Supported video-enabled iPod models are:
iPod touch, iPod touch (2nd generation), iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod nano (3rd generation), iPod nano (4th generation), iPod nano (5th generation), and iPod classic. See this document if you're unsure which iPod model you have.