Archived - About the iPod shuffle Reset Utility
The iPod shuffle Reset Utility restores the original iPod shuffle. The restore process completely erases all music and data on iPod shuffle and reinstalls software version 1.1.5. This utility is made available for customers using Mac OS 10.2.8. Customers using later version of Mac OS X or Windows should use the newer iPod Reset Utility.
Note: iPod shuffle Reset Utility is for iPod shuffle (1st generation) 512 MB and 1 GB models only. Any other iPod, including iPod shuffle (2nd generation), is not supported. If you are not sure which iPod you have, see Identifying different iPod models.
Use the iPod shuffle Reset Utility to fix the following issues:
- With the iPod shuffle switched on, pressing the Play button will cause orange (amber) and green LEDs to flash for a few seconds, and the unit will not play any music, nor can you sync music to it from iTunes.
- On a Mac, the unit will only be recognized in Apple System Profiler under Hardware -> USB and will not appear or mount in the Finder.
- When attempting to restore, the unit may not be recognized at all. However, if it is recognized, the restore may fail with an error dialog "Firmware update failure. Disk write error" or another error. It may take 3 restore attempts before the error appears. Note: iPod shuffle may take several minutes to be recognized.
Note: Read before using
- An Admin user password for your computer is required to use the utility.
- iPod shuffle Reset Utility restores your iPod shuffle with version 1.1.5 software. It is not required to restore your iPod shuffle a second time after using iPod shuffle Reset Utility.
- If iPod shuffle Reset Utility is unable to restore your iPod shuffle, then your iPod shuffle may need Service. Go to the iPod shuffle Service page for additional information.
- Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later
- Mac OS X - Click here to download
To install the iPod shuffle Reset Utility:
- Open the iPodshuffleResetUtility.pkg.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Once installation is complete, the iPod shuffle Reset Utility will be available on a Mac at /Applications/Utilities/iPod shuffle Reset Utility.
Using iPod shuffle Reset Utility
- Quit all running applications on your computer.
- Open the iPod shuffle Reset Utility.
- Connect iPod shuffle to a USB port on your computer. Do not connect iPod shuffle to a USB port on your keyboard or other non-powered USB hub.
- Click the Restore button.
- If prompted, enter an Admin user name and password. Notice: Do not disconnect iPod during the reset process.
- When it is complete, quit iPod shuffle Reset Utility and open iTunes to sync music to your iPod shuffle.