Archived - About Server Admin Tools 10.5.3
This article provides information about Server Admin Tools 10.5.3.
Server Admin Tools 10.5.3 contains remote administration tools, documentation, and utilities that you can install on a computer other than your server. This version is required to administer Mac OS X Server version 10.5.3 from a remote Mac client. The Server Admin Tools 10.5.3 are available as a manual download from Apple Support Downloads, or as an automatic Software Update for Macs running Mac OS X 10.5.3 with version 10.5 of the Server Admin Tools already installed. Note: The Server Admin Tools 10.5.3 require Mac OS X version 10.5.3.
Important: If you have moved any of the Server Admin Tools out of their original locations (inside /Applications/Server/), the update may continue to appear in Software Update even after you have installed it. Return the Server Admin Tools to their original location before using Software Update, or remove any duplicate copies of the Server Admin Tools.
Server Admin Tools 10.5.3 include several improvements, including some delivered in the Mac OS X Server version 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 updates which were not previously available as a standalone download for non-server admin stations.
- Software Update pane now shows the correct description for the selected update in all cases (included in Mac OS X Server version 10.5.2).
- Nameservers of a primary zone are now listed in order in the DNS pane.
- Allows entries of DNS names with only one character, which allows setting up secondary reverse zones.
- Administrators can now allow transferring on Reverse Zones in DNS.
- General interface improvements for creating and editing DNS records.
- Server Admin no longer displays the "Inherit permissions from parent" option for AFP sharepoints (because ACLs are now enabled by default).
- Auto Server Setup records now work with servers that have mixed-case DNS host names.
- Server Assistant now correctly reports any problems encountered when erasing a volume during installation on a remote server (included in Mac OS X Server version 10.5.2).
- Server Monitor and the ipmitool command updated for compatibility with Mac OS X Server 10.5.3.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent external users from being added to a newly-created group (included in Mac OS X Server version 10.5.1).
- Administrators can now send "Invitation" email messages to users on demand.
- Improved user interface for importing users and working with nested groups.
System Image Utility
- Setting a customized machine name for NetBoot/NetInstall clients now works correctly in System Image Utility.
- Introduces menu item for creating augmented user records. For more information, search for "augmented" in Workgroup Manager Help.