Archived - About the Xsan 2.1 Update
This article describes the Xsan 2.1 Update. This update is available via both Apple Downloads and Software Update.
Important: Read before installing
- Xsan 2.0 and Mac OS X 10.5 or Mac OS X Server 10.5, or later, is required in order to install Xsan 2.1. Mac OS X 10.5.3 or Mac OS X Server 10.5.3 or later is recommended for this update.
- If you are setting up a new Xsan deployment, please see this article for the proper installation order.
- Be sure that all Metadata Controllers (MDCs) are updated before you make any configuration changes.
- Before installing, please review the Xsan 2 Migration Guide.
- During installation, do not change any Xsan settings, whether using Xsan Admin or a command-line tool.
Metadata Controller (MDC) software version
Your MDCs must always have software versions (both Xsan and Mac OS) that are the same or more recent than the most recent client versions. For example, if any client in your Xsan network is using Xsan 2.1 with Mac OS X 10.5.3 or later, then your metadata controllers (MDCs) must also be updated to Xsan 2.1 on the same version of Mac OS X.
Software Update installation
Software Update may have referred you to this document. Because some updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to use Software Update more than once to get all available updates.
A standalone installer is available from Apple Downloads.
If you need to install the update on a remote computer, use the softwareupdate command-line tool.
- Xserve or Xserve G5
- Mac Pro
- Power Mac G5 (any)
- 2GB RAM
Storage network requirements
- Apple Fibre Channel PCI, PCI-X, or PCI-E Card
What's new in Xsan 2.1
Xsan 2.1 Update
The Xsan 2.1 Update improves reliability and is recommended for all systems running Mac OS X 10.5, or Mac OS X Server version 10.5, or later. It includes:
- Filesystem performance and reliability improvements
- Improved ACL verification and correction
- Better logging during RPL stage of upgrade process
- Improved performance and reliability during Controller failover scenarios
Xsan Admin 2.1 Update
The Xsan 2.1 update delivers overall improved reliability for remotely administering, configuring and maintaining Xsan deployments. It includes:
- Easier methods of changing computers' roles within the SAN
- Able to remove clients from SAN in situations in which the controller may be offline
- Corrected an issue which could cause users and groups to not be shown when primary controller is offline
- Better visual indications for truncated LUN sizes
- Improved Assistant warnings and size indicators when creating or expanding a volume
- Improved SAN health indicators
Xsan 2.1 Uninstaller
The Xsan 2.1 Uninstaller removes Xsan, the Xsan Admin application, and Xsan documentation files. The Xsan 2.1 Uninstaller is appropriate version to use when uninstalling Xsan 2.1 installations and can be obtained from Apple Downloads.
Note: Before removing Xsan, you should back up all of your data and volumes.
Xsan 2.1 documentation
Xsan 2.1 administrators can find Xsan 2.1 documentation here.