Apple TV (1st generation): Streaming photos via iTunes
Apple TV (1st generation) can be used to stream your favorite photos from iPhoto or Aperture on a Mac, as well as Photoshop Album or Photoshop Elements on a PC and then view them on your widescreen television.
Apple TV (1st generation)
Note: Photos can't be streamed to Apple TV (1st generation) if the client computer is set up for syncing. To learn more about syncing photos to Apple TV (1st generation) go here.
Note: These steps are only for streaming photos, and are not related to streaming other media content to Apple TV (1st generation).
Update software first
Streaming Photo Content
To set up photo streaming:
- Open iTunes on the computer you want to stream from.
- On Apple TV, choose Settings > Computers from the main menu.
- Choose "Add Shared iTunes Library" and make a note of the passcode displayed.
- In iTunes, select the Apple TV icon with "Click to set up" next to it.
- Enter the passcode. While content is being streamed, the computer must remain on and iTunes must remain open.
Now that you have successfully established a streamed association between your Apple TV and your computer, you can stream photos.
To stream photos:
- Open iTunes on the computer that contains your photos.
- On Apple TV version 2.0 or greater, choose Photos > Shared Photos from the main menu. On Apple TV version 1.x, choose Sources from the main menu.
- Choose the name of your iTunes library (for example, My Library).
- In iTunes, select Apple TV in the Devices list.
- Click the Photos tab and select "Share photos from..."
- On a Mac, choose iPhoto or Aperture from the pop-up menu.
- On a Windows PC, choose Photoshop Album or Photoshop Elements from the pop-up menu.
- After selecting which photos to share, click Apply in the lower right corner of the iTunes window.
- On Apple TV, choose Photos > Shared Photos from the main menu.
Note: iTunes and Apple TV (1st generation) do not stream photo slideshows made in iPhoto; you can stream either the entire photo library or just selected albums and use Apple TV (1st generation)'s slideshow function to view photos in a slideshow. Music used for photo slideshows on Apple TV also has to be streamed from iTunes.
For more information, see the following articles:
- Apple TV (1st generation): Differences between pairing and sharing
- Apple TV (1st generation): Syncing Photos via iTunes
- Apple TV (1st generation): Update to access YouTube features
- Apple TV (2nd generation): How to use your photos with your Apple TV screensaver
- Setting up Home Sharing for Apple TV (2nd generation)