Time Capsule: Time Machine backups do not mount
When using your Time Capsule for Time Machine backups in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or later, the Time Capsule backup volume may not mount and Time Machine may not be able to back up to it. This alert may appear:
"Backup volume cannot be found"
This can happen if the Time Capsule disk has a long name.
Time Capsule 802.11n (1st Generation)
Rename the backup volume via AirPort Utility:
- Open AirPort Utility (in /Applications/Utilities).
- Click your Time Capsule's icon.
- Click "Manual Setup".
- Enter the password for the Time Capsule if prompted.
- Click the Disks icon.
- Highlight the volume name that appears under "Time Capsule Disk".
- In the Name field, enter a name for the volume that is less than 27 characters long.
- Click Update.
- After Time Capsule restarts, on the Mac(s)using Time Machine, open Time Machine preferences and reselect the Time Capsule volume.