Archived - iMovie ’08: Storing or moving your video library to an external hard disk
If you want to save space on your internal hard disk, you can choose to have iMovie store your imported video on a compatible external hard disk connected to your computer with a FireWire or USB 2.0 cable. You can also move your stored video from one hard disk to another after you’ve imported it.
Note: When using an external hard disk with iMovie, make sure it’s been formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
iMovie '08 (7.x)
Follow these steps to store your video library on an external hard disk:
- Connect a compatible external hard disk drive to your computer using a FireWire or USB 2.0 cable and turn it on.
- In iMovie, locate the Hard Disk button in the upper-right corner of the Event Library:
- Click the Hard Disk button to see all available hard disks listed in your Events Library. In this example there are two external hard disks. The one called “Moon Unit” is selected.
- Select the Events you want to move and drag them to the icon of the hard disk where you want to move them.
Things to keep in mind:
- If you are moving a large amount of video at once, this process may take several minutes.
- If an iMovie project uses video in Events you’ve moved to an external hard disk, that hard disk must be connected to your computer in order to play or edit the project further in iMovie.
More detailed information about moving iMovie footage to another drive is available here.