Archived - Logic Pro/Express 8: How the EXS24 sampler addresses RAM in Logic 8
One of the changes to the EXS24 in Logic Pro/Express 8 is in the way it handles RAM. In previous versions, the EXS24 shared memory space with Logic, meaning that the total maximum RAM footprint for Logic and all instances of the EXS was a bit less than 4 GB. In Logic Pro/Express 8, the EXS24 addresses its own memory space. This means that EXS24 instances can use as much RAM as is available on the computer.
To take advantage of this:
- You must have at least 5 GB of RAM installed on your computer.
- Virtual Memory must be enabled for the EXS24.
To enable Virtual Memory:
- Insert an instance of the EXS24 on a software instrument track.
- In the upper right area of the EXS24 interface, click Options and choose Virtual Memory.
- In the Virtual Memory window, check the box labeled "Active."
Keep in mind that the amount of RAM available for the EXS24 on your computer will be determined by several factors, including:
- The amount of physical RAM you have installed.
- How much RAM other open applications are using.
- How much RAM Logic is using. This can be affected by the number and size of audio files in the project, and other plug-ins used. Third-party sampler plug-ins in particular may noticeably affect the amount of RAM that Logic uses.