Archived - PowerBook G4 Firmware Update 4.2.9: Information and Download
This article contains the PowerBook G4 Firmware Update 4.2.9 information and a link to the PowerBook G4 Firmware Update 4.2.9 software.
The PowerBook Firmware Update 4.2.9 will only run on 550MHz or 667MHz PowerBook G4 computers running Mac OS 9.1 or later from a local drive. If you are using Mac OS X you must boot from a local Mac OS 9.1 writeable partition (not a CD, or network disk) prior to following the update instructions.
Firmware Update 4.2.9 includes improvements to Firewire target disk mode when running Mac OS X, and improves starting up on systems with 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM and enables Netbooting over gigabit Ethernet.
Before you install PowerBook Firmware Update 4.2.9, read the instructions below. You may want to print them for reference.
Note: After you install this update, the PRAM is reset. This may reset some of your control panels to default settings. See Mac Help, available in the Help menu, for more information on changing your control panel settings.
- Make sure your PowerBook's power cord is connected and plugged into a working power source.
- Double-click the PowerBook Firmware Updater icon.
- Follow the onscreen instructions. When prompted, click Shut Down in the dialog box to shut down your PowerBook.
- After the computer has shut down, hold down the Command (Apple) key and Power button to start up your PowerBook.
- Continue to hold down the Command key and Power button until you hear a long tone. Release the Command key and Power button when you hear the tone. The update starts automatically.
Note: If a message says your firmware is up-to-date with version 4.2.9 of the PowerBook Firmware Updater, or that this version of the PowerBook Firmware Updater will not run on this computer, then you do not need this update. If a message says you need to install Mac OS 9.1, the firmware updater will not run until you install Mac OS 9.1 or later.
A status bar shows the progress of the update. When a message says your PowerBook's firmware has been successfully updated to version 4.2.9, you are finished.
Note: If a message says the update was not completed successfully, review the instructions and begin the update process again.
For more information, see http://www.apple.com/support
Earlier versions of this software may be available at http://support.apple.com/downloads/
For help with downloading, see Software downloads: Formats and common error messages.
All software available from this site is covered by a software license agreement included with this software.
Keywords: kbdload kmos91 kmosX kpbg4