Certain models of single processor Power Macintosh G5 computers may show iPod nano mounted in the Finder but not recognized in iTunes. If this happens to you, try restarting your computer and Setting Energy Saver to highest performance and turn off hard disk sleep. If you have an iPod nano, but don't have a G5, then follow the other steps below.
Mac OS X 10.5.x
- Insert your Mac OS X 10.5 install disc.
- Open the "Optional Installs" folder.
- Double-click Optional Installs.mpkg.
- On the Custom Install window of the Installer, select the option to install iPod Support.
Mac OS X 10.4.x
Install the latest available Mac OS X 10.4.x update. If you are already using the latest version of Mac OS X 10.4, or if updating does not help, perform an archive installation of Mac OS X 10.4.
Mac OS X 10.3.x
- Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions.
- Drag the iPodDriver.kext file to the Trash (you will be required to enter an administrator account password).
- Download and install the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9.
- Restart the computer when prompted to do so by the installer.
- Connect the iPod.
Mac OS X 10.2.8 and earlier
To resolve this issue with earlier versions of Mac OS X, you'll need to delete one file and reinstall iTunes. Follow each of the steps below.
Delete the file using Terminal
- Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities).
- Type: sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/iPodDriver.kext
- Press Return.
- Enter the administrator account password when prompted.
- Quit Terminal.
- Restart the computer (From the Apple menu, choose Restart).
- Download the latest version of iTunes from the iTunes download page.
- Install iTunes.
- Restart the computer after the installation has completed.
- Connect iPod.
Delete the iPod.plist file
Remove the following file in the your home directory and open iTunes again.
93718: "iPod mini appears on the Mac OS X desktop but not in iTunes"
60950: "iPod doesn't appear in iTunes or on my Mac desktop"
93492: iPod: How to Safely Disconnect
61771: iPod does not appear in iTunes or on the desktop, an exclamation point or sad iPod icon appears onscreen
61711: Your Windows PC doesn't recognize iPod
60950: iPod doesn't appear in iTunes or on my Mac desktop