If you are using OS X Lion and wish to set up or configure an older 802.11g AirPort Extreme Base Station, or 802.11g AirPort Express, manually download and install AirPort Utility 5.6. AirPort Utility 5.6 can be used to configure earlier 802.11g AirPort Extreme Base Station, and AirPort Express; it can also be used for 802.11n AirPort base stations.
To obtain and use AirPort Utility 5.6:
- Go to http://support.apple.com/downloads/.
- Search for AirPort Utility 5.6 and download it.
- Allow AirPort Utility 5.6 to install.
- Open AirPort Utility from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
Note: If you are configuring or setting up a newer AirPort Base Stations that support 802.11n, you should use AirPort Utility 1.0 for iOS or AirPort Utility 6.0 for OS X Lion, or later.
You can have both AirPort Utility 6.0 and 5.6 in the /Applications/Utilities folder.
- AirPort Utility 5.6 will appear in the /Applications/Utility folder as "AirPort Utility 5.6"
- AirPort Utility 6.0 will appear as "AirPort Utility"