What you need
To use AirPlay, you need these:
- iPhone 4 (or later), iPad, iPad mini, or iPod touch (4th generation or later)
- For videos or photos: Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)
- For music: Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), AirPort Express, or AirPlay-enabled speakers or receivers
You can also use AirPlay with iTunes.
You can use AirPlay across any apps and content that allow AirPlay. AirPlay will stay on until you turn it off, so you can keep using it across various apps. Here's how to start using AirPlay.
- Connect your iOS device and Apple TV or AirPort Express to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access Control Center.
- Tap AirPlay.
See what to do if you don't see the AirPlay icon.
- Tap the name of the device you want to AirPlay to. On iPad, scroll up in the device list to select Mirroring or other devices. The icons of a TV screen or speaker next to each AirPlay device show the type of media content you can stream to that device. See what to do if you don't see your device in the list.
- For videos and photos, choose Apple TV.
- For music, choose Apple TV, AirPort Express, or AirPlay-enabled receiver or speakers.
Now the content in Photos, Videos, or the Safari app, will stream to your Apple TV. Audio in the Music or Safari app will stream to your AirPlay-enabled device.
With peer-to-peer AirPlay, your iOS device and Apple TV don't need to be on the same Wi-Fi network. If you have one of these products, you can use peer-to-peer AirPlay:
* iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th generation or later), iPad mini, or iPod touch (5th generation) using iOS 8 or later.
* Apple TV (3rd generation rev A, model A1469 or later) with Apple TV software 7.0 or later. Find out which Apple TV model you have.
To use peer-to-peer AirPlay, your iOS device needs to have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.
You'll need an Internet connection to stream iTunes content.
- Use AirPlay Mirroring to mirror exactly what's on your screen.
- See what to do if you need help with AirPlay Mirroring.
If your device is using iOS 6 or earlier
You can AirPlay videos, music, or photos from a variety of different locations on your iOS device, including from within the Photos, Videos, Safari, and Music apps, or directly from recently used apps.
To AirPlay to your Apple TV:
- Connect your iOS device and Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open an app that supports AirPlay on your device.
- Locate and tap the AirPlay icon (if attempting to AirPlay video content from Safari or Videos, begin playback first).
- Select your Apple TV from the list of available devices that appears and begin playback.
The images of a TV screen or speaker next to each AirPlay device in the AirPlay menu indicate the type of media content you can stream to that device.