How do I make sure that my iOS device backs up regularly?
You can set your iOS device to back up automatically. In iOS 8, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup and turn on iCloud Backup. (In iOS 7, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup and turn on iCloud Backup.) When iCloud Backup is turned on, iCloud automatically backs up your iOS device daily. This daily backup can occur only when the device meets all of these conditions:
- The device is connected to a power source.
- The device is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
- The device's screen is locked.
To back up your device manually:
- Connect the device to a power source and make sure that you're also connected to the Internet using Wi-Fi.
- In iOS 8, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup and tap Back Up Now. In iOS 7, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup and tap Back Up Now.
I can't back up because there's not enough storage available.
If your iCloud storage reaches its maximum capacity, you can take any of these actions:
- Upgrade your iCloud storage plan.
- Create a smaller backup:
- Select which apps to back up. Include only the apps that contain important data.
- Delete unwanted photos and videos before backing up. You can also save the photos and videos to your computer before deleting them.
- Turn off backup for Photo Library (or Camera Roll in iOS 7), especially if you already back up your photos to your computer. (My Photo Stream isn't a backup of your photos.)
- Delete old messages from your device, especially messages with attachments. To delete a message, swipe over it, then tap Delete.
- Delete items that you no longer need from iCloud. You can save them to your computer before deleting them. For example, you can:
Why is my backup larger than what I see backing up?
When managing your storage, you might notice a difference between the size of your backup and the amount of data that your device appears to back up. That's because some apps that come with iOS back up data to iCloud, but don't appear under Backup Options on your device. For example, Voice Memos and Messages (especially messages with attachments) add to the size of your backup. Use these steps if you want to save Message attachments or voice memos to your computer before deleting them from your device:
- Open the message and tap Details.
- Scroll down to attachments and tap the image or video that you want to save.
- Tap , then tap Save Image.
- Save your photos to your computer.
- Delete the image or video from your Photo Library (or Camera Roll), then delete the message or message attachment from Messages.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- In iTunes, select your device in the sidebar.
- Select the Music tab.
- Select Sync Music, and click Apply. Your Voice Memos will save as a playlist in your iTunes library.
I received a message saying I'm about to run out of storage, but my device shows that there's plenty of storage.
There's a difference between how much storage you have on your iOS device and how much storage you have in iCloud.
- To see how much storage you have on your device, tap Settings > General > Usage.
- To see how much iCloud storage you have, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage. (In iOS 7, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.)
Where can I learn more about a message I received when my device was backing up?
If you might have trouble remembering the text of the message, you can take a screenshot on your iOS device. Press the Home and Lock buttons to save an image of the current screen to your Photo Library (or Camera Roll in iOS 7).
My backup is taking a long time to finish.
Depending on the size of your backup and the speed of your network, you might need more time to back up. Using a reliable connection when backing up your device is highly recommended.
- Learn what data iCloud backs up.
- Learn how to back up your iOS device to iCloud.
- Learn how to restore your iOS device from iCloud.
- Get help if you're having trouble restoring an iCloud backup.
If you haven't backed up your iOS device to iCloud for 180 days or longer, Apple reserves the right to delete the backups associated with that device. Review the iCloud Terms and Conditions for more information.