- Emoji may not display as expected or match the sent emoji.
- Instead of emoji, the other device may display squares, equal signs, or question marks.
- Unexpected line breaks may appear before or after the emoji.
- You may be unable to reply to email messages that contain emoji or other unexpected characters. You may need to remove these to reply to the email.
If any of the above issues occur, try to resend without using emoji.
Emoji does not appear correctly on the receiving device
Certain emoji characters may not display correctly on iOS devices, OS X, or on non-iOS mobile phones. When sent to these devices, the emoji characters may appear as blank space or boxes. This can occur when sending content with emoji to:
- An iOS device on another carrier's network
- A non-iOS device on your carrier's network or another carrier's network
- When using Mail for OS X v10.7 or later (earlier versions of OS X do not support emoji)
See this article for more information.