iPod can be safely disconnected by simply unplugging the cable if the iPod display shows any of the following screens:
- "Ok to disconnect"
- The iPod main menu with the Music, Settings, and Extras selections in addition to others
- iPod shuffle displays a solid amber or solid green LED
iPod must be ejected first before disconnecting if any of the following screens are displayed on the iPod:
- "Do not disconnect"
- "Connected, Eject Before Disconnecting"
- "Sync in Progress, Please Wait..."
- iPod shuffle displays a blinking amber LED
If the "Enable disk use" or "Manually manage music and videos" options are enabled for iPod in iTunes, iPod will need to be manually ejected before disconnecting the cable
To eject iPod
- Select your iPod in the iTunes Source list.
- Click the eject icon next to the iPod in the Source list or choose Eject iPod from the Controls menu.
Additional ways to eject iPod
You can also eject iPod by using a keyboard shortcut (Command-E)—but only if the iPod is selected in the iTunes Source List.
If the iPod display still shows a screen indicating that it should not be disconnected as explained above, use the method below to eject iPod.
- Click the Finder icon in the Dock.
- Select the iPod icon.
- From the File menu, choose Eject iPod (Command-E).
- Double-click My Computer (Windows XP and Windows 2000) or, on the Start menu, click Computer (Windows Vista).
- Right-click the iPod icon.
- Choose Eject from the shortcut menu.