By default, iTunes 11 and later manually manages your content on your device. Manually managing your device allows you to choose the content you want to have with you. This is useful if your iTunes library contains more items than can fit on your device.
Manually add items to your device
What if I can't manually add content to or remove content from my device?
To manually manage your content, check to make sure that the "Manually manage music and videos" option is turned on. Then:
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.
- Locate and click on your device.
- Click the Summary tab.
- Click the box next to "Manually manage music and videos."
- Click Apply. If you see a message that your device is synced with another library:
- iPhone can only add music or video from a single iTunes Library.
- iPad and iPod can add music from multiple iTunes Libraries, but video from only one iTunes Library.
- If you choose to manually manage your movies and music with the new iTunes Library, the iTunes content currently on your device will be erased and replaced.
- You can’t manually manage music while using iTunes Match on your device.