You can search, browse, preview, purchase, and download music, movies, TV shows, tones, and more from the iTunes Store on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.1 If you turn on Automatic Downloads, your music, books, and apps will automatically download to all of your enabled devices. Learn more about Automatic Downloads.
To use the iTunes Store on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch you will need:
- An Internet connection: Purchasing and downloading content requires access to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.2
- An Apple ID: If you want to makes purchases in the iTunes Store and don’t already have an account, tap Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Create New Apple ID on your device.
Browse and search
- Browse music by featured selections or charts and view music by genre.
- Browse video by tapping Movies or TV Shows.
- Search the iTunes Store for content by tapping Search, entering one or more words in the search field, and tapping Search.
- Tap an item to see more details.
- Preview a song by tapping the title of the song.
- Preview a video by tapping the Preview button.
To purchase an item from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Tap the price, and then tap Buy or Rent.
- Sign in to your account. You can create a new account if you don't have one.
- Your purchase is charged to your Apple ID. For additional purchases made within the next fifteen minutes, you don't have to enter your password again. When your purchase begins downloading, it appears in Downloads (under the More menu):
- Purchased music is added to a Purchased playlist in the Music app. If you delete the Purchased playlist, iTunes will create a new one when you buy another item from the iTunes Store. Video purchases will appear in the Videos app.
You can't purchase ringtones and alert tones from your computer, but you can purchase them using your iOS device with iOS 5 or later. You can purchase tones on iPad, iPhone (3GS or later), and iPod touch (4th generation or later).
To locate tones in iTunes on an iOS device:
- Tap the iTunes Store app.
- Tap Tones. If Tones isn't visible, tap More > Tones.
- Browse for tones. Once you purchase a tone, a dialog appears.
- Choose to set your new tone as your default ringtone or assign it to a contact. If you don't want to do anything with the tone, tap Done.
- Tones you purchase using your iOS device sync to your iTunes library when you connect your device to your computer. You can find tones on your device in Settings > Sounds.
Songs and albums
An alert appears if you previously purchased one or more songs from an album. You can tap Buy to purchase the entire album, including the songs you've already purchased, or tap Cancel to purchase any remaining songs individually.
If an album has bonus content in the form of a digital booklet, it will download to your computer when you sync your device or when you check for available downloads in iTunes on your computer.
You can purchase movies and TV shows in standard (480p) or high-definition (720p or 1080p) format:
- When you purchase a high definition (HD) video, a standard definition (SD) version compatible with iPod and iPhone also downloads.
- If you purchase an HD video using iPhone 4 or later, iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation), the HD version will download directly to your device and the SD version will appear in iTunes on your computer in the Downloads queue.
- With older devices, only the SD version will download on the device, and the HD version will appear in iTunes on your computer.
Rented movies are available in standard and high-definition. Rentals won't start playing until completely downloaded. Learn more about rentals.
To see your download status, tap More, and then tap Downloads. To pause a download, tap the Pause button .
If you need to turn off the device or you lose your network connection, don't worry about interrupting the download. Your device will resume the download when it can connect to a Wi-Fi Internet connection. If you open iTunes on your computer, iTunes will complete the download.
Configure Browse buttons
You can replace the buttons at the bottom of the iTunes Store app with ones you use more frequently:
- Tap More > Edit.
- Drag a button to the bottom of the screen.
- Hold it over the button you want to replace.
- When you finish rearranging the buttons, tap Done.
- Not all content types are in every iTunes Store country. If you want to purchase ringtones and alert tones, you must have iOS 5 or later on iPhone (3GS or later), iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation or later). See the list of content offerings in your country.
- 3G or better is recommended for cellular downloads.
You may not be able to download previous purchases again if they aren't in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store.