Install or remove Windows
Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 5.1?
Boot Camp 5.1 supports 64-bit, non-Enterprise versions of Windows 7, Windows 8.0, and Windows 8.1. This version of Boot Camp doesn't support Windows XP, Windows Vista, or any 32-bit version of Windows. Depending on your Mac, you may be able to use an earlier version of Boot Camp to work with other versions of Windows. For details, see the Boot Camp system requirements for Microsoft Windows.
Can I perform an upgrade install from Windows 7 to Windows 8?
See Boot Camp: Frequently asked questions about installing Windows 8.
How do I create the Windows partition and install Windows?
Use Boot Camp Assistant, as described in How to install Windows using Boot Camp. Don't partition your hard drive with a third-party utility before using Boot Camp Assistant, or your hard drive could be erased.
How do I format the Windows partition during Windows installation?
The Windows installer will ask you to select a partition to install Windows. Always select the partition named BOOTCAMP. To format the partition for NTFS using Windows 7 or Windows 8.0, click "Drive options (advanced)," then click Format. In Windows 8.1, the Format option is in the lower-right corner of the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen of the installer.
Can I perform an upgrade install from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?
It's not possible to upgrade a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows. Back up your important files, then perform a new install of the 64-bit version of Windows.
Can I resize the Windows partition after installing Windows?
No. Back up your important files, then use Boot Camp Assistant to delete the old partition and create a new one.
Can I install Windows from an ISO image?
To find out if your Mac supports that feature, open Boot Camp Assistant, then click the Continue button. If you see a checkbox labeled “Create a Windows 7 or later install disk,” your Mac can install Windows from an ISO image.
Do Macs that have a Fusion Drive support Boot Camp?
Yes. Boot Camp Assistant creates the Windows partition on the disk drive instead of the flash drive (SSD). If you're installing Windows 8 on an iMac with a 3TB hard drive, make sure the iMac is using OS X v10.8.3 or later.
Can I install Windows on an external drive?
No, Boot Camp requires that Windows be installed on your internal hard disk.
Can I install Windows on a Mac that's using RAID?
No, Boot Camp won't work if your Mac is using software RAID or a Mac Pro RAID card.
What languages does Boot Camp 5.1 support?
Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, English, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.
How do I remove Windows from my Mac?
Use Boot Camp Assistant to safely remove Windows and the Windows partition from your Mac, restoring your file system to a single Mac partition:
- Open Boot Camp Assistant.
- Select “Remove Windows 7 or later version," then click Continue.
- Click the Restore button.
Start up in Windows
Which drivers are included with the Windows support software downloaded by Boot Camp Assistant?
Boot Camp Assistant downloads these Mac drivers for Windows:
- Apple Bluetooth
- Apple Keyboard Support
- Apple Remote Driver
- Apple Trackpad
- Atheros 802.11 Wireless
- ATI Graphics
- Boot Camp Control Panel for Microsoft Windows
- Boot Camp System Task Notification item (System Tray)
- Broadcom Wireless
- Intel Chipset Software
- Intel Integrated Graphics
- iSight Camera
- Marvel Yukon Ethernet
- nVidia Graphics
- Cirrus Logic Audio
- Realtek Audio
- SigmaTel Audio
- Startup Disk control panel for Microsoft Windows
- USB 3
Do I need to authorize my Mac in Windows to play music and videos purchased from the iTunes Store?
If you want to play your purchased music or videos in Windows, you must authorize your Mac in Windows.
How do the keys on my keyboard function in Windows?
See Boot Camp: About keyboards and key assignment for Microsoft Windows.
- If CDs and DVDs don't eject when using the Eject key on your keyboard, make sure that you installed the necessary Windows support software (drivers). See the installation instructions in Boot Camp Help for details.
- If your numeric keypad doesn't work, press the Num Lock key. If there is no key labeled Num Lock, try pressing the Clear key.
Why does Windows show more resolutions for my display than OS X shows?
OS X shows only the recommended display resolutions.
Are SDXC and other SD cards supported by Boot Camp 5.1?
Yes. If you installed the Windows support software (drivers), Boot Camp works with SD cards on Macs that have an SD or SDXC card slot.
Is Thunderbolt supported by Boot Camp 5.1?
Yes. See Thunderbolt ports and displays.
Is USB 3 supported by Boot Camp 5.1?
Yes. See Using USB 3 devices on Mac computers.
- Apple offers phone-based assistance for Boot Camp for 90 days after the purchase of an eligible Apple hardware product. You can extend this period by purchasing an AppleCare Protection Plan.
- Support articles and discussions are available on Apple's support website. Apple does not provide technical phone support for installing, using, or recovering Microsoft Windows.
- If you need help with Boot Camp Setup Assistant, including installing or restoring Boot Camp software while started up in Windows, contact Apple Support.