Follow these steps to install Apple Remote Desktop and update it to a version compatible with Lion or later.
First, manually install Remote Desktop 3.3
- Copy the Apple Remote Desktop Installer from the Installation disc to your desktop.
- Control-click or right-click the Installer icon.
- Choose Show Package Contents from the shortcut menu that appears.
- From the package contents window that opens, open the Contents folder, then open the Installers folder.
- Control-click or right-click RemoteDesktopAdmin.pkg and choose Show Package Contents.
- From the package contents window that opens, double-click the Archive.pax.gz file to expand it.
- In the expanded archive, navigate to Archive/Applications/ and drag Remote Desktop to your Applications folder.
Then, update to a newer version of Apple Remote Desktop
Use the instructions below to install a compatible version of Apple Remote Desktop Admin on the OS X version you are using.
OS X Lion
If you are installing Apple Remote Desktop on Lion, immediately use Software Update to update Apple Remote Desktop to a compatible version.
OS X Mountain Lion
If you are installing Apple Remote Desktop on Mountain Lion, visit the Apple Support website to download and install the latest update for Apple Remote Desktop.
OS X Yosemite
If you are installing Apple Remote Desktop on Yosemite, visit the Apple Support website to download Apple Remote Desktop Admin 3.7.2. After downloading this update, mount its disk image, then use the following Terminal commands to create a version of the Remote Desktop 3.7.2 package that you can install.
sudo pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Apple\ Remote\ Desktop\ 3.7.2\ Admin\ Update/RemoteDesktopAdmin372.pkg ~/Desktop/ARD
sudo pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/ARD/RemoteDesktopAdmin372.pkg ~/Desktop/RemoteDesktopAdmin.pkg
After using these commands, you should have a Remote Desktop Admin package on your desktop. Double-click this package to open the Installer, then follow the onscreen instructions to install Remote Desktop Admin 3.7.2 in Yosemite.