Shuffle Songs works with most of the Shuffle and Repeat options under the Settings menu:
- Off - Shuffle Songs overrides this setting and shuffles the songs.
- Songs - Shuffle Songs respects this setting and shuffles the songs with no consideration for albums.
- Albums - Shuffle Songs shuffles albums. Songs that are on the same album are played in succession.
- Off - Shuffle Songs plays through songs once and returns to the main menu.
- One - Shuffle Songs plays one song and repeats it until you stop it, or until the battery is empty.
- All - Shuffle Songs plays through all songs until you stop it, or until the battery is empty. Songs are played repeatedly in the same shuffle order. iPod does not reshuffle after every pass through its library.
Audiobooks purchases from Audible.com or the iTunes Store are skipped. Audiobooks you imported from an audio CD are not skipped.
Note: The User Guide that comes with the iPod (Click Wheel) mistakenly indicates that the Shuffle Songs feature randomly plays songs from selected playlists.