Here's how to create a new ringtone with iTunes 9.2 or earlier:
- From your iTunes Music library, select a song that you've purchased from the iTunes Store.
- Choose Store > Create Ringtone. If a song is eligible to be created into a custom ringtone, the Ringtone Editor appears at the bottom of the screen. If a song is not eligible, you will see the message: "This song cannot be made into a ringtone."
- Adjust the highlighted area to choose your preferred segment of the song (up to 30 seconds). You can also fade the ringtone in or out.
- To change the gap between rings, choose an option from the Looping pop-up menu. Click Preview to hear your ringtone before purchasing. Once you're satisfied with your ringtone, click Buy
- Once you create a ringtone, sync it to your iPhone. You can have your ringtone play for all phone calls or assign ringtones to specific contacts.
Find out more in our Ringtone Frequently Asked Questions.